Monday, May 21, 2012

Melkite/Antiochian 100 Knot Prayer Rope

A friend and customer of mine told me about the following setup for the Melkite/Antiochian prayer rope. It is divided into three sections of 33 knots each, representing both the Trinity and the 33 years of Our Lord's life. The final section has an extra knot to round out the even 100. Not having seen any photographs of a Melkite/Antiochian prayer rope, I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be a tassel. I do know, however, that the Muslim prayer beads known as the "Tesbih" or "Misbaha" have a tassel on them. Since both are of Arab origin, I decided to include a tassel on the Melkite/Antiochian prayer rope.

I'm sorry about these photographs. I used my kitchen floor as the backdrop and was shooting the photos at about 2:00 AM.




No comments:

Post a Comment